Every property requires an Energy Performance Certificate prior to being marketed by law.  Inventory Works can provide you or your nominated agency with an EPC.


What is an EPC?

If you are in the process of selling or letting a property you must order an EPC before you market the property. (See list below of exempt properties)

When a property is being sold, the seller is responsible for providing an EPC. When the property is to be rented, the landlord is responsible for providing the EPC.

An EPC is a four-page document containing information about a property’s typical energy use and energy costs. It also contains recommendations on how to reduce energy costs and save money. An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating similar to those found on electrical appliances. The ratings vary between A (most efficient) to G (least efficient).

An EPC is valid for 10 years.

The energy rating is based on data gathered by myself relating to the space heating, water heating, lighting and construction and insulation of the exterior parts i.e. walls, floors and ceilings. A synopsis of the property can be found on page two of the certificate which summarises the data entered by myself. EPCs are produced using standard methods with standard assumptions about energy usage. This allows potential buyers and tenants to compare energy efficiency of properties of a similar type.

Green Deal

The EPC will list recommendations which may improve the energy efficiency of your property. Some improvements may be eligible for the governments Green Deal scheme. The Green Deal allows owners or tenants to make their property more energy efficient without having to pay any up-front costs. The EPC will display which recommendations will be entirely funded or part funded by the Green Deal. You choose which measures you want and organize a quote from a Green Deal provider. They will organize installation from an authorized installer and you pay for the improvements through your electricity bill at no greater cost than the savings from those improvements. Should you move home, the repayment passes to the new bill payer.

The Energy Performance of Buildings Directive began the implementation of EPCs throughout Europe. The Housing Act 2004 is the UK’s legislation specific to EPCs. EPCs were introduced to England and Wales in August 2007.

Buildings that don’t require an EPC include;

  • Places of worship.
  • Temporary buildings that will be used for less than 2 years.
  • Stand-alone buildings with total useful floor space of less than 50m2.
  • Industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings.
  • Some buildings that are due to be demolished.
  • Holiday accommodation that is rented out for less than 4 months of a year or is let under a license to occupy.
  • Listed buildings.
  • Residential buildings intended to be used less than 4 months a year.